Jibou is a city in Sălaj County and has 8.751 inhabitants.

Zsibó
Environs

Jibou, Wesselényi castle

Google Static Map

GPS Coordinates:
47,26317 N, 23,25350 E

The palace construction was started in 1779 by The Wessélenyi Miklós and Cserei Ilona. The building was designed by count Wesselényi because the old noble residence with 13 rooms placed next to the palace wasn't roomy enough. In 1785 Wesselényi came into conflict with his neighbor Johan Haller from Gârbău whom he attacked with over 500 armed people. The act was condemned by the emperor and Wesselényi end up in the prison from Kufstein and the palace works were slow down and even stopped up until 1791.

After the release the works were resumed and in 1796 the palace was finished. For the arrangement of the English park a Viennese gardener was hired, the water lily pond, the winter garden greenhouse was made and the artesian well was mounted. In 1805 Franz Neuhauser from Sibiu painted hunting scenes in the interior of the castle. In 1810 all the works were finished. The palace's beauty and elegance was kept by the followers, among them being The Boater from the Danube, named like that after he saved many people during the floods in 1838 in Budapest.

He continued his father's active lifestyle. After the nationalization the palace's interior was changed, the decorations, the decoration frames and the joinery was modified. The furniture, the heater, the paintings and the decorating objects were stolen and Neuhauser's paintings were covered. The palace's rooms became classrooms and the building became High school, Boarding school, House pioneers, and Experimental station of Young Naturalists. The English park was transformed into a botanical garden, the manege into dining rooms and the yard into carting track.

Today in the castle works only the children's club. The stone lions from the garden were brought here at the end of '70's from Jósika Miklos palace from Surduc. Recently the palace was returned to the heirs without the crypt! The crypt, the ancestor's resting place wasn't claimed!

The family's symbol was taken away from the castle and put into the basement. That's how it resisted to the test of history.

Riding hall Wesselényi Crypt Wesselényi castle, Jibou·, Photo: WR Wesselényi castle, Jibou·, Photo: WR Wesselényi castle, Jibou·, Photo: WR Wesselényi castle, Jibou·, Photo: Luidort Péter Wesselényi castle, Jibou·, Photo: WR Wesselényi castle, Jibou·, Photo: WR Wesselényi castle, Jibou·, Photo: Luidort Péter Wesselényi castle, Jibou·, Photo: WR Wesselényi castle, Jibou·, Photo: WR Wesselényi castle, Jibou·, Photo: WR Wesselényi castle, Jibou·, Photo: WR Wesselényi castle, Jibou·, Photo: Luidort Péter Wesselényi castle, Jibou·, Photo: WR Wesselényi castle, Jibou·, Photo: WR Wesselényi castle, Jibou·, Photo: WR Wesselényi castle, Jibou·, Photo: WR Wesselényi castle, Jibou·, Photo: Luidort Péter Wesselényi castle, Jibou·, Photo: WR Wesselényi castle, Jibou·, Photo: WR Wesselényi castle, Jibou·, Photo: WR Wesselényi castle, Jibou·, Photo: WR Wesselényi castle, Jibou·, Photo: WR Wesselényi castle, Jibou·, Photo: WR Wesselényi castle, Jibou·, Photo: Luidort Péter Wesselényi castle, Jibou·, Photo: WR Wesselényi castle, Jibou·, Photo: Sárközi Pál Wesselényi castle, Jibou·, Photo: Sárközi Pál Wesselényi castle, Jibou·, Photo: Sárközi Pál Wesselényi castle, Jibou·, Photo: WR

This page was made with the support of the

National Cultural Fund Administration in an online editorial project.

Hotels within a radius of 12km from Jibou

Share Wesselényi castle, Jibou·

Facebook Twitter Google Digg Reddit LinkedIn Pinterest StumbleUpon Email Tumblr