Brașov is the capital city of Brașov County and has 252.200 inhabitants.

Brașov

Brașov, Saint John Church

Google Static Map

GPS Coordinates:
45,64427 N, 25,59187 E

The date the church of the Franciscan nuns was built is unknown. In the 1530s the order was expelled from town, and the whole curch as well as the monatery was emptied and later on used as a granary. The fire in 1689 left only the walls standing. After its renovation in 1718 it became the property of the Jesuit order but following another fire they abandoned it, as well. Restorations start in 1718 and the church is returned to the Franciscans. The altar-piece represents St John baptising Jesus Christ in the River of Jordan. The church organ was built in 1751, rebuilt in 1939. Rev. Elek Csiszer(+1942) worked on the reformation of the order. Rev. Fortunát Boros (+1953,) who was taken to Jilava prison right from the monastery in August 20, 1951, died as a martyr. Both of them are going to be declared Blessed.

Saint John Church, Crucifix on the church wall, Photo: Pénzes Nándor Saint John Church, Brașov·, Photo: Adrian Modrișan Saint John Church, Brașov·, Photo: Szabó Orsolya Saint John Church, Brașov·, Photo: Pénzes Nándor Saint John Church, Photo: fr.Szilveszter.ofm Saint John Church, The blazon, Photo: fr.Szilveszter.ofm Saint John Church, The organ, Photo: fr.Szilveszter.ofm Saint John Church, Painting on the altar, Photo: fr.Szilveszter.ofm Saint John Church, The monastery, Photo: fr.Szilveszter.ofm Saint John Church, Church fresco: St. Francis and the wolf of Gubbio, Photo: fr.Szilveszter.ofm Saint John Church, Brașov·, Photo: fr.Szilveszter.ofm

Open hours

7.00-18.00

Contact: tel/fax. 0040-268-411-118

You can speak with us in: Romanian, German, Ungarian, English, French

E-mail: frszilveszter@gmail.com

May 2013

Hotels in Brașov

Share Saint John Church, Brașov·

Facebook Twitter Google Digg Reddit LinkedIn Pinterest StumbleUpon Email Tumblr