Brașov is the capital city of Brașov County and has 252.200 inhabitants.

Brașov

Brașov, The Honterus schools

Google Static Map

GPS Coordinates:
45,64052 N, 25,58786 E

The Honterus School was the first such tution the activity of which was governed by school regulations. The regulations were written by Johanes Honterus. The teachers of the school built in 1541, as well as its pupils came from the country and from abroad. The graduates worked as priests, doctors, typographers, and musician or even as teachers. Between 1544 and 1548 there were 126 so called university students, 25 of which studied abroad. On the initiative and with the help of Honterus in 1547 a library was also founded. Following the 1689 fire and the 1783 earthquake the building had to be torn down in 1742. They started to rebuild it the following year. It gained its present shape in 1834. During WWI the building was used as gunpowder storage, later on as a maternity ward. In 1913 they start building a new construction. Education is done here until WWII. In 1948 the German school closes and the classes get into mixed schools. In 1971 the Johanes Honterus German high-school reopens its gates in the churchyard school building, its present location.

The Honterus schools, Brașov·, Photo: Moldovan Darie-Cazimir The Honterus schools, Brașov·, Photo: Moldovan Darie-Cazimir The Honterus schools, Brașov·, Photo: Robert Lázár The Honterus schools, Brașov·, Photo: Moldovan Darie-Cazimir The Honterus schools, Brașov·, Photo: Moldovan Darie-Cazimir The Honterus schools, Brașov·, Photo: Moldovan Darie-Cazimir The Honterus schools, Brașov·, Photo: Moldovan Darie-Cazimir The library The Honterus schools, Brașov·, Photo: Moldovan Darie-Cazimir The Honterus schools, Brașov·, Photo: Kovács Lajos May 2013

Hotels in Brașov

Share The Honterus schools, Brașov·

Facebook Twitter Google Digg Reddit LinkedIn Pinterest StumbleUpon Email Tumblr